Sunday, December 28, 2014

Project: Resurrection, The key to it all.....

This post isnt going to be much of a progress update, I'll warn you of that right now. This is a little more about a late night saturday and my very strange ocd type symptoms manifesting. My poor wife, I bet she wishes it would manifest in the form of perfect laundry, or housecleaning of some sort. But nope, things like my keyrings are the things I am particular about. How does she do it?

You can tell alot about a person by their keys. I see many peoples keys everyday in my line of work. The no nonsense, straight to the point, no fuss types to the fun loving free spirits and all in between.
Memorials, pictures of the kids, funny slogans, a logo of a place of significance, hello kitty, or simply a car key and an office key if not just the car key. Personality types very distinctively manifest on a keyring. 
This is my everyday set of keys. I do have a spare, in a just as unexciting to me set up.
My keys hold things significant, for instance, being an enthusiast, I like to have something to show what I drive on it. It's not because I forget I have a GTI, it's because I just want to have that there because well, I just do. I noticed my keys were starting to seem cluttered though. With the advent of getting my hands on a parts key to fix my spare (it was missing the keyring loop)

My spare key on the right, The piece with the good keyring loop, and on the left, a key that brings fond memories every time I see it.

So I set about disassembling my spare key and replacing the part of the body that contained the loop. 

With that out of the way, it was time to start arranging my keys. 
Starting with my regular go to key I took what I wanted on there and put it all together.....
A car key, a house key, and a VW emblem cut out of a key from one of my old bugs which has been following me around since somewhere around forever. Remember what I said about sentiment?
 You can see the spare set in the backgound. The old key on there is from the first GTI I ever really dug into and put together. See my post about the origins of DIV and that was the car I was talking about when I said we liked to get into our cars and drive to shows. I wish I had photos of that thing somewhere, but back then it wasn't about taking photos, It just was never thought about. We all have that car though. I managed to salvage a key from the untimely demise of that car and I swear it's like sampsons hair for me when I grab it. 

And the finished product. Now that I have probably confirmed my nerdness, and successfully not given a useful useful update on the 337 as well as made you want your 5 minutes back, here is a quick shot of the intercooler mounted correctly. 
Remember this unsightly mess?


Although the intercooler looks much better, man this thing looks rough. All that will change very soon though. Just the little things for now! Stay tuned because when this one gets rolling, it is going to snowball. Wheels are off for some cleanup, parts are being ordered for under the hood and I almost have the needed body parts to get it in one piece for the beautification. 
See the introduction to the 337 here:The beginning of it all for this car....
And the first real post about it:How I found it/got it

Until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment