Thursday, October 23, 2014

Project: Resurrection. Introduction

The VW GTI 337. Borrowed from the www.vwvortex.com

I have a way with cars. I really do. I always get my way even if it means compromising a perfect result for something that may not be the ideal choice for somebody looking for a specific model.

Historically I've bought cars cheap that I wanted and then cleaned them up enough to be respectable and enjoyed them for what they were. As long as it runs and drives when I get it (I've broken that rule too many times haha) I do what I want with it to make myself happy with it and drive them. When something else catches my eye, I sell it and move on.
Factory Recaro Seats. (Photo: roadfly.org)


Take for instance the 2002 VW GTI 337.
In January of 2001 my wife and I bought a 2002 GTI in the color of silver. Nice car. Brand new. Being a solid VW enthusiast that's a pretty exciting thing to get. But I think I remember there being some buzz about a special edition coming soon.

That special edition was the 2002 GTI 337. The 337 was a designation created in the early 70s as the model code at VW. So fitting that they use it.
Created to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the GTI as well as an outcry from enthusiasts in the US, the 337 was built to fill a niche that VW had needed to fill stateside for some time.

Equipped with many nice touches to trigger the buy button in guys like me, the 337 had just about all of it. When I first saw the pictures and info released in the VW marketing, I was enamoured. I had to have it. 18" BBS wheels in a classic design, Big bolstered Recaro seats, Front and rear spoilers that really worked well with the car, Brushed aluminum trim in the Interior, real metal pedals, it was to die for (a little insight into me, I'm like a 10 year old who wants and is soon expecting whatever is really awesome, Obsessed, and driven to the point of crazy)
BBS RCs, pretty cool wheels for a factory car. (photo: roadfly.org)


That was sometime in early 2002. When I approached my wife and calmly suggested trading in "her" brand new GTI, It received a prompt "no".  I said "But babe! Look at it! Just look at it!"

Now my wife, who has good taste in cars and certainly thought it was cool stated very clearly, that in no way shape or form were we trading in the brand new car for another very similar model just because it was "cooler"

I get logic, but logic was out the window. I was a drooling, wild eyed, raving lunatic about this car. I have always sought out the "special editions" They were the reasons I drove VWs. I hate to use generic terms, but I love OEM+ styling. I like these cars because of their character, the aesthetics. So when I modify them, I only want to accentuate the engineers original version. This car was almost done from the factory in my eyes, a little adjustment of the altitude and it's just about perfect. Even when I was a kid I was head over heels for the little hatchbacks and tossed right over the edge the first time I saw a Rabbit GTI. This car gleamed to me like a chest full of gold and gems does to a pirate.

Ever since then I have wanted one of these. The 2002 GTI came and went like cars do. It was nice. But I was never in love with the fourth generation of VWs. I didn't love that car and was not sad to see it go. I went on my way from car to car but have not over the years really ever put much thought into a mk4 (fourth gen Golf or Jetta) but every now and then I would see one of these and feel that little tingle in my gut.

I'll leave this here for right now. I now have one in my possession but well, remember in the beginning here I said I will sometimes sacrifice perfection for one less desirable with a price tag that reflects that? More soon as I am about to set off resurrecting my very own 337......
Until next time...... (photo from www.vwvortex.com)



No comments:

Post a Comment