Saturday, November 22, 2014

Project: Resurrection- Part 1, Condition.

This car was on the verge of being written off and dismantled for parts by the previous owner. After driving it for a bit I am really happy I got the whole thing and not just fragments of it haha.
Early in our years together I used to show up at home with either news of some "score" of a car or actually with some shambled pile of VW steel held together with zipties, duct tape and willpower, many which would make my wife cringe. Some ended well, and some were stripped of anything that made them good and sent for recycling, and some were put into road use or built as projects. The struggle was real for her. True story, I have heard the words "why on earth would you want that?!" and "you can't keep that where people can see it" more than most people, set aside car people with similar fluids mixed in with their blood and supportive significant others who have grown accustomed to this sort of "treasure".

Thankfully the successes have outweighed the yard planters and she now has a little faith. But when I got home with the 337, I still saw the cringe I know so well manifest ever so slightly but outwardly she managed to give a word of encouragement and an "oh good, I'm glad you like it". Haha, the struggle is real for my wife, Thank you for supporting my sometimes bizarre car habit Barbie!

This car really did need, but is absolutely worth saving.....
I had arranged a late night trip to MPLS to look at and more than likely purchase with a little help from my friend Tristan from easily one of the coolest shops I know, Further performance so I could have it on a lift in good light for a solid buyers inspection.

This car had me at the first sound I heard from it as the previous owner approached the shop. I remember the conversation with T. "that doesn't sound like a beater does it?" He said"It sounds decent whatever it is" and then it came around the corner.

Unbeknownst to the PO, I bought that car right at that moment. See my previous post about how I feel about the 337s. Not only did it sound like a well maintained 1.8t, it was clearly a 337, even with the mismatched panels.  When I walked up to the car to introduce myself and the door opened I lost my ability to negotiate too. Dammit. I went through the motions, I put it on the lift and silently pointed and noted little things I saw, all to devalue it in the owners eyes without saying a word (a brilliant buyers tactic btw, very unnerving to the seller) and then took it for a drive. Remember that ravenous drooling condition I said the 337 had put me into when I first saw the marketing materials so many years ago? Well upon my return from the test drive I stepped out of the car and immediately offered him every penny we had initially discussed over the internet. Dammit, but this was my Red Ryder bb gun, no ifs ands or buts about it. Cash and a title exchanged hands, and I had my 337.


Aside from some very small concerns which have been addressed, such as a driver axle with both boots shredded to non-existence and some attention to the lights which had just never been fully addressed after the accident that put it in this condition, the car is solid. Mechanically it is 95%, with the 5% being just cleaning up some previously installed parts (intercooler, and all the intake/recirc stuff is a mess)
The intercooler is mounted upside down and needs the bumper bar cut, the intercooler flipped to properly tuck it away. it also needs an OEM bumper skin to really clean things up.
Plans are: A real intake, a true emissions delete as all the stuff is still there and held in place by every vw enthusiasts temporary friend, zip ties, as well as a nice catch can set.
It doesn't have any check engine lights, it pulls hard, and has what the previous owner stated as a stage 2 GIAC tune. It's actually pretty badass and when I am in it and driving, I couldn't care less what it looks like.

Oh yeah, the look. Not intentional, it was a condition of purchase we shall say. It looks the way it does from playing bumper cars on a highway somewhere in MN. Thus the reason it is all mismatched. So if you know anyone, I am on the hunt for an OEM core support, Front bumper cover, driver fender, and driver door. It came with the front valance that VW equipped it with, just in the back of the car. The only piece it is truly missing is the hatch spoiler as they are pretty much permanently affixed to the hatches and cannot be removed without destroying them.

The recaros. Yes! Although the driver bolster is showing 130,000 miles of use, it is not all torn up and thankfully, still with the car.
The red stitched steering wheel and boot, Driver Edition shift knob, pedals, and aluminum trim. Some of the very desirable equipment on this car and usually the first items to go when these cars fall to this state are all there. I had to buy it....
All in all, I am totally down with this car. Thrilled as a matter of fact. This will not be some huge fancy build, this is going to be "put together the car I wanted as a driver for 12 years and drive it build". The maintenance (t-belt, etc) has all been done recently and all it needs is some cosmetic love. Speaking of........
As far as the multi color format, I am going to address it. How you ask?  I'll give you an opportunity to make an educated guess.......
Here is a link to the original post regarding the 337. This should get you up to speed on this project. Let me introduce you .......

If you are wondering if this is my winter project the answer is no. I also took another big bite of a historical piece......
More on this soon..............

No comments:

Post a Comment