Sunday, September 1, 2013

So a little something I've been working on

 
See more at www.madfurther.com

  I told you I like cars right? I think that's really all I talk about haha. One project that has been occupying me for the last couple of months is a show that will hopefully break all the barriers of genre in the car world and hopefully unite car people VS having people argue about who's car is better because of the tag on the front.    
  You can find more info here. There are a bunch of us involved, all of us" veterans" so to speak of the car scene in the midwest, and we were/are very excited to have an opportunity, from the start when we saw a need, to do something truly unique in our european automobile dominated lifestyles.

   I know it's short notice, but if you can make it too Minneapolis MN next weekend, do it, you will not be disappointed.

    When we (the group of people collaborating on this event) see cars, I'm not even sure we see what the tag on the front says. We see the build, the details that an owner lovingly put on. We see the them in the garage late at night, hear the thoughts "I'm going to put this right here, it will look badass" we feel it with the builder.  This is one aspect that I think is overlooked by many, the passion and dedication involved with the actual act of building a car. The moments of pride, the heartbreak when it doesn't work or just totally grenades while out on a test run. We've all been there. Bottom line is, it's part of being a car guy. Respect and get respect.
 
 For some, looking at cars doesn't go past seeing what color it is, for us every thing on it holds a story. This is the inside of my hood.
every sticker is a story/memory to me. This is a very personal section of my car. The "homies" section so to speak.

 I chose to use this as an example as every sticker in there has a story in it for me. Some were installed there by my good friend Ben who had put them there himself many years ago before the car got passed around. The ones I added myself all are from good friends, memorable events, things that when I am feeling nostalgic, I can go in the garage and use my hood as a time machine.
 
This is a piece I slapped together for some web use for a friend, I think it sums up the other half (now more than likely the stronger half) of why I'm into it now.

Why we do it?
So a friend from afar had broken down in my city the other day. It just so conveniently happens this was his destination as his girlfriend lives here. As we called back and forth trying to get him set up with a fix for his broken, we finally touched base in person.
  With his girlfriend along hanging out with him, he stepped out to take a call. Being friendly and making small talk, she said “You guys and your cars, I think he has a different car every time he comes to see me” We then went on to discuss our habits with cars. From having a group of unfinished projects, unfinished for various reasons of course, to the constant changing of our beaters. The constant wondering if it will make it, the cross state, sometimes cross country trips in 20 plus year old cars, etc.
  At the time I didn’t put a lot of thought into it, just stated the obvious “it’s just what we do” it’s what we’ve always done, and maybe always will do. Who knows?  She was ok with it after I explained I have been happily married for 11+ years and my wife looks at cars like prizes in a Cracker Jack box, you never know what’s coming next.
  Only later in the day when I had some down time did I put more thought into the whole “why do we do it” thing.
  It really does start with the cars, for sure. And they never leave the equation either. It will first and foremost be about our passion towards, wheelsenginesnoiseflamestiresmokespeedadrenalinebuildingdestroyingtriumphtragedyprideshameshinydull, etc.

  But as time goes on and you immerse farther into the scene, and the scene starts to evolve around you, you realize you are looking forward more to running into people more than you are looking at cars. As you prep for the show you are also mentally preparing to see friends that you see generally only at these events. We check out each other’s cars for a few minutes, shake hands, give out hugs, etc, then crack open beers and sit around like there has been no span of time since the last. No Christmas, no thanksgiving. Car shows, or car events I guess. And you leave them with fine memories ingrained in your databanks, but if you think about it, there are so many more that involve so and so doing that stupid thing or saying that funny thing and far less about what wheels were on that car or whatever. Sure, we remember stuff from the cars, and take ideas, this is not to say we don’t love them, this is more about the evolution of an enthusiast network.  This I realized after several beers in my garage, and some quiet time reflecting on how it has become a very important part of this world we have built for ourselves. And I would never change it. It has come to be a second family for me, and I invite you all to be a part. Because as I’ve said before, The camaraderie, the memories, the feeling of being free is universal, the entry fee is a good attitude, the want for fun and adventure, and you gotta like cars…..Joe D
Thanks for your time. Ill be back soon with an exciting project locally I am helping with. Very cool stuff, and yes, it does involve a vehicle of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment